Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Antibiotics and recovery - update

Waaaaaaay back in January I posted about my dental surgery and having to be on antibiotics. If you missed it, you can find it here.

It's taken me a long time to get back to what I assume is "Normal". I can't even imagine being on antibiotics or another drug for more than that! It has taken me this long, from 1 week of antibiotics. sigh. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I feel like I was doing my best. Some of the things I did were:
  • Eating more pickled and fermented foods (pickles, miso, kimchi)
  • Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep (I don't have kids, so I have had the luxury of being able to get 8 or 9 hours a night)
  • Yoga
  • Walking 4 km (or more) a day (roughly 2 miles for you in the US)
  • Probiotics
  • Cut out bad fats and sugars - even though I have been vegan for over 4 years, I was still being dumb with sugar and fats. I was addicted to potato chips and some sugary snacks. I have recently cut all that out.
  • Started supplements  - Red Reishi mushroom, black seed oil, Chlorella, and Spirulina
I do feel a lot better doing all of the above! I still want to do more yoga, start running and swimming and eventually meditation. I found that I was in a slump after Christmas, so maybe not all of my symptoms were from the antibiotics, but I can tell you that I feel a hell of a lot better these days!

Have you been on a drug for a long period of time? What are your ways of getting back on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment