Saturday, September 15, 2012

Back from Burning Man!

Ok, I'm not JUST back from Burning Man.. I've been back for a week, but my brain was still on vacation and anything I would have written wouldn't have made much sense.

Before going to Burning Man I didn't really have a set up perception of what it was going to be like, except that it would be hot, dusty and I would be thirsty. I now know what people mean when they say you have to experience it for yourself.

My friend and I started planning this trip when I heard that I received tickets through the lotto system. There were very few days that I didn't think about Burning Man or was planning some aspect of our trip. It seemed tedious at the time, but once there, I saw how much more I could have done. We bought a very good tent (tested in hurricanes!) and bedding that consisted of cots, very expensive thermirests, pillows and sheets. My friend even purchased a used SUV for the trip.

Our drive there was a bit uneventful except for a semi truck tire bursting right beside me as I drove, which hurt my left ear for 2 days afterward. (Whhhhhy do they do that? Scared the heck out of me!) And our passenger door breaking. Who knew that bolts could fall right out of a car door. I just looked down at them and said...um...something just fell out of the door. It turns out that those bolts actually help shut, lock and arm the car. Yesssssss! So we duck taped the car door from the inside for the night, armed it and went to the only mechanic in that small sleepy town the next day. He said he's never seen that happen before.

Soon as we made it to our camp I knew what my Burning Man experience was going to be all about. We met our camp mates and they ALL helped us set up our tent. Everyone welcomed us, tried to feed us, got us something to drink and wanted to meet us or if they already knew us, catch up. The community at Burning Man is amazing. I can't say it would be the same for you, but my experience was quite wonderful.

The week went by quick at times and dragged at others, but there was NEVER a dull moment. I would like to go into more detail, but I honestly can't put it into words right now. I don't know if I ever will... and now I am one of those annoying people that say you have to experience it for yourself!

Love this video:


And you can see me and my friend in this video at 2:01 - 2:04. I'm the one laughing..which is the usual, ha!


Here are some of my pictures:

The clean Kia

Something for everyone's needs


Moon over the desert

Driving into Burning Man


The Vancouver Core Life Tree

Center camp

Mesh sculpture at Center camp

Steampunk Octopus

Ballmart

Frobot the art car

My friend serving drinks at his robot camp


The playa

The playa with the man in the distance

Dragon Art car


Life tree burn

Thunder dome!

Inside Thunder dome

My friends trying not to pose for the picture





Ah, yes!

The Temple



Inside the Temple




Was happy that this burned, but it was beautiful up close




Dirty stories on the Playa

A tall friend helping me with my Temple picture

Gpa at the Temple






Just outside our camp

Dirty Kia.. very dirty girl.

Sunday Temple burn

Well, there you have it. No too much about my vegan diet now, was there? I did eat vegan there even though everyone ate bacon constantly. I swear if I smell it one more time I'll throw up. Seriously, who eats that much bacon? I know it was for the salt so that they would drink more water, but you can switch it up a bit to something else - hmmmmm pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment