Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Burning man

Hey kids. So, I am going to Burning Man. I am not ready and my living room has exploded with a million things I need to pack and/or still make. I hear I am right on schedule with my panic.

Being an artist and getting ready for shows has prepared me for this feeling, as my pieces are usually left to the last minute and still drying as I hang them on the gallery wall, so this should be a familiar feeling for me.

If you don't know what burning man is here is the wiki definition:

Burning Man is a week-long annual event held in the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada, in the United States. The event begins on the last Monday in August, and ends on the first Monday in September, which coincides with the American Labor Day holiday. The 2012 Burning Man Festival is August 27 to September 3. It takes its name from the ritual burning of a large wooden effigy on Saturday evening. The event is described by many participants as an experiment in community, art, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance.

I have heard many stories from friends on what it is like, but the most common reply when asked what it is like is "you have to experience it for yourself." And kids, that's what I intend to do!




The only things I am really worried about are the elements and the dust getting in my camera. I have a feeling there will be little to no documentation of my time there! I am building a plastic cover for my camera, but if the wind is as bad as reports off the playa this week, I do not want to take it out to risk ruining it. That is a hard thing for me to say and it will be an extremely hard thing to do as I basically live life through my camera! I have often heard that you shouldn't live your burning man experience through the lens, so maybe this is the universe forcing me to participate instead of staying on the sidelines. Very clever universe!


(2011 temple at sunset via Creative Gap)

I am so excited to see the different art installations, art cars and costumes. I haven't had a lot of time to make my own costumes though, which is a big bummer. I have a few 'outfits' that I have bought, but I really wish I had more time to have planned it out better. I thought with my new job I would have more time, but in actuality I had less...boo-urns, poor me...at least I have a job!

Sooooooooo, I won't be updating my blog until I get back, so hang tight and I will update you on my crazy adventure! On the way back from burning man I am going to Oregon to visit some friends and then to go to a vegetarian / vegan spa retreat (YIPPEE!) so you wont get an update from me until the second week of Sept! Hope you have a great two weeks! I know mine will be nut bar. hmmm...nut bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment