Vegan Cinnamon RollsYields 12 rolls
After the unbaked rolls have risen in the 9 x 13 pan, they can be covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight to bake the next day.
For the cinnamon roll dough
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup warm water, about 110 degrees
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling (I used whole wheat flour)
For the filling
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Earth Balance, melted
- 3/4 cup raisins (or blueberries!!!! yuuuuuum)
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
To Make the Dough
- Heat the soy milk, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and margarine in a small saucepan over low heat until the margarine is just melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla; set aside to cool until warm to the touch.
- While butter is cooling, place the warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar, and yeast in a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Stir for a couple seconds and then set aside for 10 minutes. The yeast will double in size and should reach the 3/4 cup line. If it doesn’t, either the yeast was dead or the water was not the correct temperature – you will need to try again before continuing on to the next step.
- In a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, combine margarine mixture with the yeast and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Reduce to low speed and add 2 1/2 cups flour. Mix for about 2 minutes and then add 2 more cups of flour. Beat for 1 more minute. Remove dough from mixing bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. The dough will be a little wet and sticky – knead about 2 minutes with your hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray and roll around dough so it is covered in spray (this will keep it from sticking to the bowl while it rises). Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until is has doubled in size – about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once risen, punch in the center so that the dough deflates. Take dough our of bowl and place on a floured surface to let rest an additional 10 minutes.
To Make Filling and Assemble Rolls
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a roughly 20 inch x 13 inch wide rectangle.
- Combine brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush melted margarine evenly over surface of dough. Spread cinnamon sugar mixture over margarine and finish with raisins.
- With the long end towards you, roll the dough up evenly. With the seam down, use a sharp knife to cut the log in half. Continue to cute each half into 6 equal pieces so that you have a total of 12. Place the rolls, cut side up, into the prepared pan, in 4 rows with 3 rolls in each, leaving a little space in between. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until they have risen and expanded, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Let the rolls cool about 10 minutes before putting on the glaze.
To Make the Glaze
- Combine powdered sugar and water in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk unit smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm cinnamon rolls.
- Serve immediately and store extra rolls in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.