Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mac and "Cheese"

I made some mac and cheese Sunday night. I was hunkered down watching "the curious case of benjamin button" and felt I needed some comfort food. Have you seen that movie? Sheeeeeesh! I kinda cried a few times ... shhh!


Anyway, you're might be wondering how I made it since I'm vegan, but it actually isn't that hard and I didn't feel too guilty eating it for lunch the next day either!

Pasta shells - depending on how many servings.
3/4 cup mozzarella Daiya
3/4 cup cheddar Daiya
3/4 cup Almond milk
Salt, pepper and seasonings to taste

Boil (whole wheat) pasta, rinse and set it aside..

On med heat constantly stir "dairy" ingreds until all are melted adding more milk if needed. (if you like it runnier or not)

I usually use an Italian spice blend in place of salt, but this time I used it with salt and pepper as well. You can obviously garnish it to your specific tastes. (like some ketchup - nom nom nom)

This made roughly 4 servings

Daiya cheese is a vegan cheese substitute. It is free of many common allergens including; dairy (casein and lactose), gluten, egg, peanuts and tree nuts. The main ingredient is tapioca. I have had it on a pizza and it even stretches like cheese!

I have had some friends mention they don't like it because it tastes too "buttery", but since I don't eat butter anymore it's kind of a nice treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment