Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Potato Chip Problem

When I became vegan last year I seemed to have lost all my cravings. I never really had much of a sweet tooth, but if it was there I would eat it, if not .. meh.

Most recently I have developed a problem.. it comes in the form of cravings for potato chips. It started basically around November-ish, so I just thought it might have something to do with winter and needing comfort food. Since it's still winter I can't really disprove it quite yet.

(hmmm...nom nom nom...these are my favorite!)

Last night was the WORST. I was literally jonesing and was looking to buy when I remembered that I had bought some oven fries a couple weeks earlier and decided to make some of those instead. Now...is it the potato or the salt I wonder?!

After some light research I found that salt cravings are linked to depression! UGH...that in itself is depressing! If you read the about me section you know I have thyroid issues and one of the symptoms is light to heavy depression that usually goes away once the thyroid is treated.

I've never thought of myself as depressed, but now that I think about it I was quite the "moody" child/teenager. I found that I in fact became more happy once I got rid of all the crap (ie dairy, meat, processed foods) out of my diet. Breaking up with my boyfriend in the summer actually didn't even make me depressed. (I miss him, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't staying in bed crying...I was actually going out and being social)So what's going on now?

Light bulb moment:
*My grandfather passed away in February
*I moved further away from my ex
*I'm kind of bored at work lately (Oh god, now that it's out there...please Universe...don't do anything! I like my pay cheque!)

Could these things be the cause? I am still very social, but I guess not as much as I was in the fall. Spring, hurry up so I can figure this all out!

But in the meantime, I'm going to continue munching - mwa ha ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment