Sunday, February 2, 2014

Homemade Almond Milk

If I would have known how easy it was to make my own nut milk, I would have done it a looooong time ago! This is seriously the easiest recipe ever.

Homemade Almond Milk

 

1 Cup Almonds - soaked overnight
2-3 Pitted Dates (optional - if you want a hint of sweetness)
3 Cups of Water




After soaking the almonds over night.. (approximately 8 - 10 hours) Put them in the blender with 2 dates and the water and blended until smooth and milky. Add more water if you don't want it as creamy. I find 3 cups is the perfect amount for me.




You'll need a strainer of some sort. I have used cheese cloth, but a nut bag is SO much easier. You can also use a small strainer. Also use a tightly sealed container, like a mason jar. The one I use is 1L.


Strain a bit at a time, and squeeze out the milk into your jar. I tried to take a picture of me squeezing, but it proved to difficult to do that AND take a picture - HA!


You'll be left with the nut pulp. You can either store it in your freezer or compost it. I am currently trying to find recipes to use it in. Last night I added some to a banana mango smoothy....nice!


And that's it! Store Milk in the fridge for up to 7 days...although, if you're like me, it'll be gone before that! I find this is about 2 dollars cheaper for me than buying it at the store.





No comments:

Post a Comment