Friday, April 29, 2011

The Truth About Food

I have been watching the BBC's 6 part series on The Truth About Food.

I can say it has been very interesting! It dispels some myths about metabolism, pro and pre biotics and fat and does scientific studies on what people eat and what it does to their body. I highly recommend watching it to learn a few things. Like everyone should be eating more fruit and veg! Yeah!

I was only a bit disappointed in some of the experiments that mentioned high calcium intake and the only option that they gave their subjects was dairy. There are SO many other ways to get calcium instead of eating a block of cheese! I understand your concerns...I used to LOVE cheese, I get it...no, really I do....I would have bathed in it if my parents would have let me!

I'm not going to get on my high horse (at least not today - te he)about my dis-like of dairy since doing some research of my own. I am going to ask you to keep in mind other healthier ways in getting the vitamins and minerals you need daily into your diet instead of what the dairy industry or pharmaceutical industries (vitamin supplements) drill into your head. The main thing is do your research and don't just settle for what someone else has told you to be true. (like me ...a hem...)

For example here are some vegetables that are calcium rich:

Alfalfa sprouts
Artichokes
Arugula
Asparagus
Bamboo shoots
Beans
Beets
Bok choy
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard
Chives
Collards
Coriander
Corn
Cucumber
Dandelion greens
Eggplant
Endive
Garlic
Hearts of palm
Jicama
Kale
Leeks
Lemon grass
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Mustard greens
Okra
Olives
Onions
Parsley
Parsnips
Peas
Peppers
Pickles
Poi
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Radicchio
Radishes
Rutabagas
Scallions
Shallots
Soybeans
Spinach
Squash
Sweet potato
Tomatillos
Tomatoes
Turnip
Wasabi, root, raw
Waterchestnuts
Watercress, raw
Yam
zucchini

Wow, huh? Can you believe it? ooooh, now I'm hungry!

I'm so excited for the farmers markets to be opening soon! What is better than locally grown fruit and vegetables?

Hope you all have a super weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment